Aug. 13-19, 2018

History of Hamilton Farm: Celebrating 100 Years

In 1911, Wall Street financier James Cox Brady purchased 180 acres in New Jersey for $100 per acre only 50 miles outside of New York City. He named the farm after his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hamilton Brady. Little did Brady know that Hamilton Farm would stand for more than one hundred years and would become symbol of equestrian sport in the United States.

Construction was completed in 1913, with the main stable built in 1916. Brady continued to add on to his estate which eventually reached 5,000 acres and spanned three counties. Dairy and beef cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks and geese were raised at Hamilton Farm, but Brady was especially interested in horses.

The famous stable is made of brick and concrete and is reinforced with steel. The ornate interior includes carriage rooms, tile walls, terrazzo floors and brass fittings. There are 54 stalls, and the barn originally had 40 other rooms: tack rooms, offices and living quarters. The central entrance leads through to a tiled octagonal foyer with a split-level stable and a former carriage section.

William Steinkraus, four-time member of the U.S. Olympic team, credits the efforts of Arthur McCashin, a Gladstone area resident and USET competitor, for connecting the team with its home base at Hamilton Farm. In 2003, the United States Equestrian Team became the USET Foundation with a fundraising mandate. The sports governance of American equestrianism came under the control of US Equestrian.

Hamilton Farm hosts US Equestrian events ,such as the Dressage National Championships and the Platinum Performance/USEF Show Jumping Talent Search Finals East. US Equestrian also hosts a number of training clinics for developing riders in High Performance disciplines.

Newsletter Signup