History of Hamilton Farm: Celebrating 100 Years
In 1911, Wall Street financier James Cox Brady purchased 180 acres in New Jersey for $100 per acre only 50 miles outside of New York City. He named the farm after his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hamilton Brady. Little did Brady know that Hamilton Farm would stand for more than one hundred years and would become symbol of equestrian sport in the United States.
Construction was completed in 1913, with the main stable built in 1916. Brady continued to add on to his estate which eventually reached 5,000 acres and spanned three counties. Dairy and beef cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks and geese were raised at Hamilton Farm, but Brady was especially interested in horses.